Green Lake Vacation Rental Guide
Do you catch yourself daydreaming about an all-American getaway and a summer of fun? Do you long to reconnect with friends and family around a feast of s’mores after a long day diving in the lake or checking out the latest local festival? It may be time to book a vacation rental in Green Lake, Wisconsin. With 27 miles of shoreline and a depth of 237 feet, Green Lake is the deepest inland lake in Wisconsin, attracting visitors from around the country year after year.
You would not be the first to fall under the spell of this welcoming community. Green Lake prides itself on being the oldest resort town west of Niagara Falls. It has been welcoming travelers since the 1860s, the cooling breeze and fresh water from the lake offering much-needed respite from the sweltering heat. The small town has embraced its vocation as one of Wisconsin’s premier summer destinations thanks to its expansive lakefront property options. It provides multiple ways to access its pristine waters, including three boat ramps, a canoe launch for the Puckyan River, and a swimming beach.
Green Lake is home to 960 residents and offers plenty to do no matter the season. Although summer remains a favorite among visitors, booking a vacation rental in Green Lake is a good idea year-round. From animated festivals to miles of trails to explore to golf courses, the entire family will find something to do any time of the year.
Things to Do
Green Lake, WI, is the perfect place to create new memories with your loved ones. Regardless of your age and interests, you are sure to find something to do during your vacation in Green Lake.
Green Lake offers dozens of family-friendly trails for hiking and biking amid the picturesque scenery from the lakeshore to the deep woods for lovers of the great outdoors. Of course, the lake itself is a major attraction—it is best explored from the deck of a pontoon boat or, if you are more active, by canoe, kayak, or paddleboard. Rentals are widely available for boating. Fishermen will find their happiness year-round, either by dropping a line in the shallow waters or by trying their hand at ice-fishing during the colder months. Green Lake also offers multiple parks, perfect for picnics, listening to live music, and people-watching while lounging in the sun.
Green Lake is the ideal setting for a romantic escape. Get away from the hustle and bustle of your daily routine and reconnect with your partner as you explore the Amish countryside and stroll through the local art galleries and charming boutiques. Catch a show at the historically restored Thrasher Opera House before concluding your evening in one of the numerous restaurants and eateries in town, which cater to all budgets and tastes.
Although summer activities are indubitably one of the main attractions in Green Lake, Wisconsinites have learned to make the best of the long winter months, and you are welcome to join the fun. Whether you get involved in traditional winter sports like snowshoeing, snowmobiling, or ice skating, or try more exotic ventures like iceboating, you may find yourself embracing the colder months as much as the warm ones.
With its bucolic charm and relaxed atmosphere, Green Lake may seem worlds away from everything, and yet it is only a couple of hours at most from major cities, making it the perfect destination for a weekend away.
The closest airport is Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW), located in Appleton, about an hour’s drive away. It offers direct flights to some of the major hubs in the Midwest (St Paul-Minneapolis, Chicago, and Detroit). It also provides direct routes to Atlanta and Charlotte, as well as several Florida destinations (Tampa-St Pete, Ft Myers-Punta Gorda, and Orlando-Sanford). Sunshine-lovers will appreciate the direct connections to Las Vegas, Phoenix-Mesa, and Nashville.
Green Lake is also located within traveling distance of Dane County Regional Airport (MSN) in Madison and Green Bay–Austin Straubel International Airport (GRB), both an easy 1.5-hour drive away.
Those who do not mind driving a little longer to reach their vacation rental in Green Lake can land in Chicago, approximately three hours away.
The continental climate of Green Lake, Wisconsin, leans toward the extremes and is strongly influenced by its proximity to the Great Lakes. It offers four distinct seasons, with often abundant precipitations.
- Spring in Green Lake tends to be cold and rainy in the earlier months, with average temperatures of 32°F in March and 45°F in April. It warms up significantly later in the season, with average temperatures reaching 57°F in May. Precipitations are plentiful, especially in April and May, when you can expect nine rainy days per month on average. Snow is usually present until April, followed by an explosion of colors and fresh flowers in May.
- Summer is the best time to visit Green Lake. The temperatures are warm yet comfortable thanks to the Great Lakes’ effect, with average temperatures of 67°F, 72°F, and 70°F respectively in June, July, and August. The mercury rarely reaches above 90°F, making it the perfect weather to enjoy everything Green Lake has to offer. However, make sure to pack a rain jacket, especially in the earliest part of the season, since precipitations are commonplace, with eight rainy days per month on average. Summer months may also see some tornado activity: a good reason to remember to keep an eye on the weather as you soak in the sunshine.
- Green Lake is blessed with vivid foliage colors in the fall as the temperatures cool down. September is often still warm enough to enjoy summer activities, with temperatures reaching 63°F on average. October is crisp yet comfortable, with average temperatures of 50°F, often cooling down dramatically at night as the cold season sets in. November marks the onset of the winter, with average temperatures dropping to 37°F and below freezing in the nighttime.
- Winters in Wisconsin have the well-earned reputation of being cold and harsh, turning Green Lake into a winter wonderland. As the saying goes, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing, so dress appropriately to explore the countryside under its immaculate white coat. December days are short and often dreary, with temperatures averaging 24°F. January and February are even colder, with average temperatures dropping to 17°F and 20°F. There is plenty of snow, with snowfalls accumulating to 10” on average in December and February and 15” in January.
Green Lake, WI, is located in a picturesque rural setting. It is surrounded by charming communities, all of which offer their share of entertainment. Your Green Lake vacation rental is the perfect home base to explore the bordering towns as well as downtown Green Lake.
- Berlin, WI, located a mere 10-minute drive north of Green Lake, has plenty to offer for the entire family, from a round of golf at the elegant 27-hole Mascoutin Golf Club to the excitement of the Aquatic Center. The charming historic downtown area offers a wide choice of restaurants, parks, and boutiques, some of which specialize in the types of leather goods that made the town’s reputation in the 1860s.
- Markesan, WI, in the heart of Amish country, is the perfect day trip from Green Lake as you explore the traditional businesses offering delicious goods of all kinds and high-quality woodwork. The downtown area has been lovingly maintained, and the wonderful Historical Society Museum is well worth visiting.
- Princeton, WI, has the distinction of being home to the state’s largest weekly outdoor flea market, which runs every Saturday from mid-April through mid-October. If you are on the hunt for an original gift or the perfect souvenir from your vacation in Green Lake, you are sure to find something among the vast array of local handicrafts.
- Ripon, WI, made history as the birthplace of the Republican Party in March 1854. Today, it is home to the Vines & Rushes Winery, which offers high-quality locally produced wines and charming local stores and eateries. Children will love a visit to Larson’s Famous Clydesdales.
Green Lake Property Management
We also offer fully-managed property management services in Green Lake. If you are looking to rent out your vacation home contact us to schedule a free consultation.